Real estate development is a complex, iterative, and interdisciplinary endeavor. To effectively develop, finance, or supervise a project, a fundamental understanding of the process and its many facets is necessary. Many real estate entrepreneurs enter the development business from a tangential discipline. This introductory course is designed for entry- to intermediate-level professionals from all disciplines, both public and private. The course objective is to provide attendees with a basic understanding of real estate development and finance concepts and a comprehensive overview of the development process.
The program begins with a review of the development process and quickly takes participants through several stages of real estate development, demonstrating the interdisciplinary nature of the process, and its inherent complexity. Lectures and case studies provide instruction in the fundamentals of successful design and development of real estate. Instruction in financial analysis provides a fundamental understanding of pro forma modeling basics. The program provides participants with practical approaches to real estate development.
- Overview of the development process
- Market analysis and real estate economics
- Financial analysis of real estate
- Site selection and due diligence
- Negotiating and structuring the deal
- Real estate finance basics
- Fundamental financial analysis
- Financing the project
- Managing the entitlement process
- Managing the design and construction process
- Strategic marketing
- Case studies